The latest lunacy – Forcing people to vote! So politicians can abstain from voting in parliament and who need not even attend parliament. Politicians, who like Jayalalitha are released from jail after spending 18 days in jail, have no responsibility foisted on them whatsoever. But the people have to vote – oh yes!
Those who want more laws like forcing people to vote…have you not yet realized that India already has too many of them? And are you so naive to think that this will not be massively misused? Here is what will happen:
- Corrupt officials will deliberately “misplace” voter IDs
- 20% of everyone who goes to vote will not find their names on the lists
- Officials will demand a bribe to get a card “tatkal”
- You’ll be forced to pay the bribe since you don’t want to go to jail
- Even if you fight the case, you’ll be tied up in courts for years and years
- Combine crores of these cases with an already overburdened judicial system and we’ll have “no voting” cases getting resolved in the year 2246 AD
- If you implement just a plain fine, it’s going to affect poor people disproportionately. I don’t care about Rs. 500. But for the person who clears the garbage on the road, it’s a HUGE amount of money
- If you’re sick and can’t go vote, or are disabled, or for whatever reason, please pay a bribe to avoid being fined or jailed. If you don’t pay, you will eventually prove yourself innocent in court. Err…I mean your great-great-great-great grandchildren will be prove you innocent.
- In this situation, the facility to pay a bribe is a good thing! It’ll save you years and years of hassles fighting useless court cases and taking up the court’s time that would be better spent on important stuff. Like you know…REAL crime!
Wow – I can’t believe people are so IGNORANT to think “Oh, just create a law! Everything will be solved!”. Poor naive fools.
I’m not even touching on how unconstitutional this measure is. Voting is a right, not a legal obligation. If someone wants to have nothing to do with the running of the country, that is their choice. You can’t force it on them. But the Gujarat government already knows this. Which is why they will never ACTUALLY implement this law. It’s just sad/amusing to see so many simple minded people thinking that simple minded measures like this are what India needs right now!